Data Protection Policy
Data Protection - All personal information about you will be treated as private and confidential. We will only use and disclose the information that we have about you in the normal course of arranging and administering your insurance policy, and will not disclose it to any other parties without your consent. We may use information we hold about our customers to provide them with information about products and services which we feel may be appropriate to them. Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have the right to see any personal information about you that we hold in our records. If you have any queries please write to us at our business address.
Please see the new section below “Variations to the Data Protection Policy 2018“ in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR)
Variation to the Data Protection Policy 2018 for Ferndale Insurance Services Ltd
This document states the changes in our data protection policy which are effective from 25th May 2018 as required by the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
(In this document ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ means Ferndale Insurance services Ltd)
Who we are - Ferndale Insurance Services Ltd is an Insurance Broker specialising in the insurance of buildings. All personal information about you will be treated as private and confidential.
Data Protection compliance - We comply with Data Protection principles when gathering or using personal data as set out in the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. We hold your information in our office, on paper and on our secure, password protected, office desktop computer network system. Our employees can only access your data on a ‘need to know’ basis for the purpose of your insurance requirements and are subject to a duty of confidentiality. Our computer system is ‘backed up’ onto an externally held ‘cloud’ server in the UK to protect us from data loss in the event of a catastrophe or a virus or hacking event. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of any suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
Types of personal data we may hold of either our clients or lessees of properties owned or managed by our commercial clients include:-
- Contact details
- Date of birth
Sources of personal data:-
i) For our commercial clients, some personal contact information data is passed on to us by your building’s managing agent in the performance of our insurance work
ii) Lessees of apartments who have insurance claims give us their personal data when they complete claims forms
iii) Our private clients give us their personal data when they ask for insurance quotes and complete insurance proposal forms
iV) for company directors of client companies and companies we work with, some of the personal data may be obtained from www.companieshouse.gov.uk in our Know Your Client investigations
Who we share your data with:-
So that we can do our job as an insurance broker, under our contract with you, we need to share your personal data in relation to the property insured with insurance companies, to obtain a suitable policy for you and, if you have an insurance claim, we may also have to share your data with the insurer’s Loss adjusters, your property’s Managing Agents, the property Freeholder and other related persons. We also may have to share your personal data when required to do so by law.
Why we need your Data:–
You have asked us to obtain quotes for you for buildings and associated insurance policies and you have contracted with us to arrange and manage policies and claims on your behalf. We cannot do this work on your behalf without providing the insurer with certain required information about your property and you.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 our clients have additional rights:-
1. Access - you have the right to see any personal information about you that we hold in our records to ask us to change any inaccurate information.
2. Correction – you can require us to correct any mistakes in the information that we hold
3. Consent for sharing your personal data - You contract with us to arrange and administer your buildings insurance and related policies on your behalf and we share your personal data that we hold relating to your property and process this only for the purpose of arranging your insurance policy and in the normal course of administering your policy or helping you with an insurance claim or any other insurance related activity. We can assume you consent to this sharing of information as it is necessary for the performance of the contract.
4. Data Retention - We will hold your data that relates to buildings and their associated property for the period of at least 12 years, as this is a legal requirement. We will hold your personal data for a period of 6 years after your relationship with us ends unless this data is required for a longer period in relation to an insurance policy or a claim.
5. Your Right to Complain - You have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you think that there is a problem in the way in which we are handling your personal data and we have not rectified the problem in a timely manner. Please see www.ico.org.uk for further information.
6. Right to be Forgotten - You can request that we remove all of your personal data from our paper and digital records. We will comply with your request as long as you do not continue to have any insurable interest in the property or are not involved in any ongoing insurance claim and the legally required periods for us to keep such information have ended.
7. Right to Port your Personal Data - If you request that we send you any personal data that we hold on you, we will do this by email, for data held on our computer systems.
8. Right to control the use of your data - We will not use your personal data for marketing purposes or pass it to others for this purpose without your consent. We are a UK company and do not pass your information outside the UK.
9. Right to restrict data processing - You have a right to stop us using your data in certain circumstances but we will only process your data for the purposes of obtaining and administering your insurance policies.
10. We do not use automated decision making or profiling
If you have any queries please contact us at our business address – 39 Brown Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 2AS or by telephone at 01722321709 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.